At the end of the 19th century most of the Navies concentrated their efforts on the development and employment of fast, maneuverable, but lightly armed, torpedo equipped boats. These torpedo boats would charge, attack and escape from the larger and more ponderous ironclad warships. The defensive invention to counter the torpedo boat was the torpedo-boat destroyer (later shortened to destroyer). It was at the turn of the 20th century that the destroyer was conceived, and its' mission was to neutralize the threat that torpedo boats posed against larger ships-of-the-line.

The destroyer possessed the speed to overtake the torpedo boat and the firepower to overwhelm and destroy it. Because of its' effectiveness the role of the destroyer was soon expanded from this single purpose to tasks formally accomplished by gunboats, small monitor ships and other naval vessels. Thus, shortly after its' development, the destroyer became a multi-purpose weapons ship whose capabilities continuously evolved from the original concept to fulfill the many different missions assigned to it.





Laid down by Bethlehem Steel,
Staten Island, N.Y.






Sold to Pakistan


Decommissioned by Pakistan

 The GEARING Class

(as constructed)


2425 tons - 3520 tons Full load


390.5 feet


41 feet


18.5 feet


4 - Babcock & Wilcox Boilers
2 - GE 60,000 shp Engines
2 Prop Shafts


35 knots


740 tons


4,500 nautical miles at 20 knots


367 men


6 - 5" DP
12 - 40mm AA guns
11 - 20mm guns


10 - 21 inch in two mounts midships

Depth Charges:

6 Depth Charge Projectors
2 Depth Charge Tracks

Later Conversions:



Cone (DD-866) was launched 10 May 1945 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Staten Island, N.Y., sponsored by Mrs. H. I. Cone, commissioned 18 August 1945, Commander W. C. Butler, Jr., in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

The USS Cone was named after Admiral Hutch I. Cone. In 1909, he became chief of the Bureau of Steam Engineering and was in charge of the engineering modernization taking place in the Navy with the installation of steam turbines. Admiral Cone also has his place in the Naval Aviation History books as an advocate for Naval Aviation and in October 1917, he assumed command over all Naval Aviation forces abroad.

Cone's first cruise, between 12 February and 9 April 1946, was a visit to Portsmouth, England. After a week at Newport, RI, she sailed again on an extensive goodwill tour to ports of both northern and southern Europe, welcoming visitors at each city, returning to Newport 24 October. She operated along the East Coast and in the Caribbean from her homeport, Norfolk, until the summer of 1947, when she carried midshipmen on a training cruise to northern Europe.

Continuing training and service activities along the East Coast and in the Caribbean when not deployed, Cone served her first tour of duty with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean in 1948, joining the United Nations Palestine Patrol for a time. She returned to the Mediterranean in 1949, and later that year crossed the Arctic Circle on maneuvers. East Coast and Caribbean operations and another 6th Fleet tour occupied Cone in 1950. Her 1951 Mediterranean cruise was highlighted by a visit by Winston Churchill at Venice on 9 September and by Cone's transportation of the United States and British Ambassadors to Greece on a diplomatic call on the monasteries of Mount Athos. She served again in the Mediterranean in 1952 and on 28 August 1953, cleared Newport for a cruise around the world, sailing by way of Panama, San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Midway and Yokosuka. She then joined Task Force 77 on patrol off Korea, after which she continued the homeward voyage with calls at Hong Kong, Bahrein, Port Said, Naples, Villefranche and Lisbon returning to Norfolk 9 April 1954, thus completing her first around the world cruise.

From September to November 1954, Cone sailed to join other NATO navies in antisubmarine training off Ireland and in Operation "Blackjack," then called briefly at Mediterranean ports. 1955 found her concentrating on air defense exercises and acting as plane guard for carriers. A Letter of Commendation from Admiral Frank Virdin, Commander of Destroyer Flotilla Six, cited Cone for her outstanding contributions to Fleet Air Defense during this period. In 1956, cruising in the Mediterranean, she joined in NATO exercises, returning home in June. Alerted during the Suez Crisis, she joined Task Force 26, which sailed to the eastern Atlantic to stand by, then called at Lisbon and returned home when its services were not needed. In 1957, she was welcomed to Stavanger, Norway, the first American ship ever to visit that port. Entering the port required that she steam up a small canal only 75 feet wide, alongside the Dutch Windmills. 1957 also saw the Cone enter the Norfolk shipyard for repair and overhaul followed by refresher training in waters off Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. In 1958 and 1959-60 Cone served with the SIXTH Fleet in the Mediterranean. 1959 saw the Cone transfer to Destroyer Squadron Four and become the flagship for Destroyer Division Forty-Two. A shipyard overhaul was completed in July and she then sailed for Guantanamo Bay for refresher training, returning to her new homeport of Charleston, S.C. in September. Through the remainder of 1960, she conducted exercises in the Caribbean, operated locally from her new homeport and visited northern European waters during NATO maneuvers.

1960 saw a new role for the Cone. After her return from the Mediterranean, she was assigned to Project Mercury, the United States "Man in Space" program. Upon returning from the Caribbean at the end of May, the Cone entered a tender and shipyard availability that lasted through the 21st of July and prepared her for another 18 months operating schedule. During the months of September and October 1960, Cone participated in the triennial NATO Fall exercises. This operation took the ship deep into the North Atlantic, above the Arctic Circle. Assigned the role of surface raider for exercise purposes, the Cone simulated attacks against the NATO striking force. Upon completion of the exercises she visited Chatham, England for a week before returning to the United States.

Early in January 1961, Cone departed for fleet exercises and later in the month, participated as a member of the capsule recovery group which recovered the chimpanzee "Ham" after his brief but historic ride in space. March of 1961 saw the Cone operating again as a part of the SIXTH Fleet and NATO exercises as an ASW support ship. In June she transited the Suez Canal for a six-week patrol in the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea area, then returning to the Mediterranean for large scale NATO exercises Checkmate I and II. After returning to her homeport for leave and upkeep, she went to sea again, in November, as a unit of the Project Mercury Recovery Force. She remained in this capacity through the first two months of 1962 participating in both the Shepard and the Glenn manned orbital space flights.

In March 1962, the Cone began FRAM I (Force Reconstruction and Modernization) conversion in Brooklyn, N.Y. A helicopter hanger and landing pad were included in her new array of offensive ASW (anti-submarine warfare) weaponry. She lost a forward gun mount (52) and gained ASROC (anti-submarine rockets), Hedgehogs and still mounted torpedo tubes. In February 1963, she test fired her first ASROC in waters off Key West, Florida. Cone was again in dry dock in Charleston during a 3 month period in the middle of 1963. During 1964 through 1966, she would make 3 Med. cruises and numerous trips to the Caribbean. In 1965, Cone became a part of history just by virtue of her location. Never before had the Russian Fleet operated in Mediterranean waters. Suddenly, out of the Baltic Sea, many Russian submarines sailed forth into the Mediterranean Sea. At the time, Cone was enjoying a port call in France. All hands were called back to the ship and she headed to sea at flank speed in search of Russian submarines. The entire SIXTH Fleet participated in the operation and, before it was over, had proved that the SIXTH Fleet was truly a professional organization. All of the Russian submarines were located and sat on by both naval sea and air and contact was held until SIXTH Fleet ordered all participating units to stand down. In a light hearted moment, the Captain of the Russian submarine that Cone was surveilling sent a message to the Captain of the Cone saying "he would see us when he resurfaced and hoped for some ice cream." Our Captain replied with "will Chocolate be okay?" It was not learned by the the ships crew until our return to port but the operation resulted in an International Incident. The Soviet Union didn't take kindly to our "harassment" of their submarines. Later in the cruise, the Cone steamed down the Suez Canal and around to Karachi, Pakistan for a port call. It now seems ironic since the Cone would one day serve as a member of the Pakistan Navy.

January 1, 1966 saw Cone enter the Charleston Shipyard for an overhaul. Habitability was greatly improved with the addition of air conditioning of all berthing spaces with commercial A.C. units and the installation of modular bunks, accomplished by the ships crew. Electronic warfare capabilities received significant upgrades as well.

May 11 saw the Cone underway again and headed for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for refresher training. With a successful training schedule completed, Cone arrived back in Charleston on July 15th for a six-week upkeep period.

Sept 29, Cone headed to the Meditteranean for another SIXTH Fleet deployment. In Nov, she participated in operation MIDLINK IX in conjunction with U.S., British and Iranian naval vessels. Cone spent Thanksgiving in Ras Tamura, a small American community in Saudi Arabia, and then transited, through the Suez Canal, into the Indian Ocean and a port call at Bombay, India. December 18 saw Cone transit the Suez Canal again and Christmas was spent in Beirut, Lebanon. New Years found the Cone in port in Naples, Italy and she finally arrived home Jan 31, 1967.

After relenishment and general upkeep, Cone departed Charleston enroute to the Caribbean and OPERATION SPRINGBOARD. During the operation, Cone fired the Atlantic Fleet Weapons range at Culebra Island and was rated excellent in both procedures and accuracy.

Cone returned to Charleston on the 27th of March to begin preparations for a Change-of-Command ceremony to be held in April. CDR A. Coday formally relieved CDR R. E. Classen as Commanding Officer on the 7th. The 16th saw Cone and her new C.O. enroute to the San Juan Op-Area and OPERATION CLOVEHITCH III.

Cone's hull numbers and stern numbers were painted out for OPERATION CLOVEHITCH III and her only identifying marking was a 3'x3' orange square painted on the wings of the bridge. False lighting arrays were strung to disguise Cone as a merchant steamer, tug, or pleasure liner. These guises proved their worth during the operation as Cone successfuly simulated sinking several units of the BLUE forces, including Columbus (CG 12), Mullinix (DDG 994), Ingraham (DD 694), and the better part of BLUE amphbious forces. Deception was used to the maximum on voice circuits, enabling Cone to dispatch BLUE force screen units to "wild goose chases" and similiar ruses. The amount of tactical intelligence gleaned from monitoring BLUE force nets enabled Cone to pinpoint units of BLUE force screens, main bodies, and authenticate when required.

Cone returned to Charleston on May 1st and began preparations for a Midshipmen's cruise. She deployed May 8th to Norfolk, embarked 31 midshipmen and then departed Norfolk as a unit of LANTMIDTRARON '67. With midshipmen still aboard, she participated in OPERATION LASHOUT. During the operation, Cone ran a constant "battle" with the USS Croaker (SS 246). Some of the most valuable ASW training of the year resulted as Cone finally "sunk" Croaker 5 times while being "sunk" by Croaker 3 times. The midshipmen disembarked, in Annapolis, on August 3rd and Cone returned to Charleston.

After some local ops and a period of leave and upkeep, November 15 arrived, the date of deployment to WestPac. The Panama Canal was transited on Nov 19 and Cone, in company with USS Dewey (DLG 14) and USS J.C. Owens (DD 776), arrived in San Diego on the 27th. Cone, Dewey and Owens visited Pearl Harbor, Midway, Yokosuka, Japan and arrived at Buckner Bay, Okinawa on Christmas Day, 1967. Cone and company then steamed to Subic Bay, Phillipines arriving Dec 29, for final preparations for SAR and Gunline operations in January of 1968.

Cone and Dewey departed Subic Bay on 13 January arriving in Da Nang on the 15th. The day was devoted to operational briefings and some further type-training before getting underway for Southern SAR station on the 16th.

As a unit of TE with COMDESDIV FOUR TWO as Task Element Commander, Cone spent 11 days on Southern Search and Rescue in company with Dewey. During this time Cone assisted in the recovery of 6 aviators in three separate incidents.

On 29 Jan, Cone departed SSAR and steamed independently to Ksa-Hsiung, Taiwan for a brief port of call and was underway again 6 February. Her destination, to provide Gun Fire Support for the 3rd Marine Division operating just south of the de-militarized zone separating North and South Vietnam. On 8 February, Cone fired her guns in anger for the 1st time since commissioning in 1945. The long hours of gunnery practice proved their worth. This period on the "gunline" coincided with the North Vietnamese buildup prior to the TET offensive and there was a great demand for gunfire from the destroyers patrolling off the DMZ. In 11 days of round-the-clock operations, Cone fired an avg of 680 rounds per day, for a total expenditure of 7501 rounds. The many underway replenishments and rearmings, some conducted at night and under poor weather conditions, as well as long hours of firing, were a test of human stamina. Cone departed the gunline on 19 February. All hands were proud of the numerous messages received from Marine Corps spotters praising the effect of the ship's gunfire.

Cone joined the attack carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CVA 63) and her escorts in the Gulf of Tonkin and served as a surface rescue vessel during launch and recovery of attack aircraft. The Cone's C.O. assumed tactical command of the task element comprised of Kitty Hawk escorts.

Cone terminated Surface Rescue Operations with Kitty Hawk on 4 March and proceeded to station off the coast of North Vietnam where she operated as Commander Task Unit 70.0.4, conducting picket station duties and combined operations with Sea Dragon forces employed in Gunfire Support Missions north of the de-militarized zone. Other units participating in Sea Dragon at that time were USS Hoel (DDG 13) and USS Blue (DD 744).

Relieved of Southwest Picket Station and Sea Dragon duties on 7 March, Cone proceeded to II Corps Tactical Zone south of Da Nang to provide Gunfire support for Korean forces in that area. Cone fired 1865 rounds prior to departure on 17 March.

For the next two weeks, Cone successfully escorted USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA 31), USS Range (CVA 61), and USS Kitty Hawk (CVA 63), each engaged in Yankee Station operations.

On March 27, Cone in company with Kitty Hawk and USS McCard departed Yankee Station enroute to Yokosuka, Japan arriving there on 1 April, 1968. After a concentrated effort by the crew, Cone successfully completed an INSURV inspection on the 4th and 5th of April. Leaving Yokosuka with Kitty Hawk on the 8th of April, Cone returned to Yankee Station on the 12th and, in company with the USS Bordelon (DD 881), served as rescue destroyer and Screen Commander for the Kitty Hawk in support of strike operations. Cone departed Yankee Station on 17 April for her final tour on the gunline.

Arriving in I Corp Tactical Zone on 18 April, Cone's main armament was again employed in support of Marine forces in the Zone. Before departing the area on the 30th, Cone fired 2950 rounds bringing her grand total of 5"/38 cal rounds fired during the deployment to 12,881.

Cone operated 1 May with the Kitty Hawk, again on Yankee Station. May 2, Kitty Hawk and escorts departed the Gulf of Tonkin for a brief stop in Subic Bay on the 3rd and on to Hong Kong where Cone anchored in the harbor early on the morning of the 5th.

Cone departed Hong Kong on 11 May and arrived in Yokosuka on 20 May. The Task Unit of Cone, USS Dewey (DLG 14) and USS J. C. Owens (DD 776) left Yokosuka on the 20th of May for the long voyage home. Departing Pearl Harbor on the 31st, they were joined by USS Johnson (DD 821), thus reuniting Destroyer Division Four Two for the remainder of the homeward journey. Cone arrived at Pier Papa, Charleston, on 22 June, 1968.

After more training operations off Key West 31 July thru 6 August, Cone returned home where, on the 9th of August on her fantail, the Pacific Deployment awards ceremony was held. Two Navy Commendation medals with Combat "V", five Navy Achievement medals with Combat "V", sixteen letters of commendation from Commander SEVENTH Fleet, and twelve citations from Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Group, SEVENTH Fleet, were presented.

On 8 October, one brief chapter in Cone's history was closed. Cone's two Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopters (DASH) were off-loaded for the last time.

On the 13th of November, Cone berthed at the Naval Shipyard, Charleston, S. C. Regular overhaul began 18 November. Cone's forward 5'/38 twin gun mount was removed on Dec 6, having fired over 6,000 rounds in Westpac. On Friday, 13 Dec., Cone passed the sill of drydock number one and gently settled onto the keel blocks where she remained to greet the new year.

Cone was released from dry dock on 20 January as she found herself afloat again at 1300 hours. The Cone was moored at Pier F receiving all services from the Pier. During that time, LCDR William Batts, Jr. reported aboard to relieve LCDR Michael S. Meyers as Cone's Executive Officer.

On 28 February, Cone moved to Pier C and remained there while personnel were on leave and various dock trails were conducted. Cone conducted tests of all sorts while getting herself ready for her next deployment to the Carribean on 31 March.

Upon arriving in the Carribean, Cone assumed duties as rescue destroyer for the USS Saratoga and then was detached to run numerous tests and allowed for Cone to proceed to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands for welcome Easter Sunday liberty. Cone then assumed rescue destroyer again for the USS Saratoga. Cone headed back to Charleston on the 8th and arrived there on the evening of the 10th of April. She remained until the 19th. Cone then headed back to the Carribean for more tests.

Cone proceeded to Culebra Island for gunfire support exercises and successfully qualified as gunfire support ship during the exercises. She then proceeded to Guantanamo Bay and the refresher training that would test the skills and stamina of all hands.

Refresher training began on 28 April with the Arrival Inspection. This training would continue through the 11th of June. Gunfire training saw the Cone expend 1102 rounds if ammo. A feather in the Cone's cap came by way of excellent shooting as she downed 20 target sleeves during anti-aircraft gunnery exercises.

After completion of refresher training, Cone headed home arriving in Charleston on 20 June. ComDesDiv 42 embarked upon Cone, in port. On 27 June, Commander H. L. Hinkley, USN, relieved Commander A. Coday as Commanding Officer of the Cone.

16 July saw ComDesDiv 42 disembark. Two days later saw the Cone underway again. She spent her time operating as a rescue destroyer, in an operating area off Jacksonville, for the USS Independence. She was back home in Charleston on the 4th of August.

Many tests were conducted across the next month in preparation for another Mediterranean Cruise beginning on September 8. The first exercise would be a North Atlantic Nato Exercise "Peace Keeper" and then on to a six month deployment with the U.S. Sixth Fleet. Ships leaving with her were the USS Sampson (DDG 10), USS Johnston (DD 821), USS Mc Card (DD 822) and the USS Semmes (DDG 18). USS Stickell (DD 888) and USS Waldron (DD 699) joined the formation on the 10th of September and Commander Second Fleet, embarked in the USS Newport News (CA 148) assumed duties as SOPA. USS Neosho (AO 143) provided fuel services.

The cruise had been perfect until 16-17 September when the Atlantic reared it's ugly head sending one of it's infamous storms down the formation. The storm scattered the formation and opened a hole in Cone's main decks allowing water to pour into the after living compartment on every roll the ship took. The hole was patched early morning of 17 September, the day when "Peace Keeper" began. Finally the storm subsided and Cone returned to the exercise area on 19 September after having been driven far to the south.

Cone was a surface raider for Orange Forces and later a screen ship for the USS Independence. "Peace Keeper" ended successfully on 23 September and Cone proceeded to Pollensa Bay in the Bailearic Islands to join the U.S. Sixth Fleet. Cone relieved USS Mc Cloy on 28 September.

The next three months of the Cone's Sixth Fleet duties saw her fire her first successful ASROC in over 2 years, saw her participate in two joint operations ("Deep Furrow" and "Operation Mediterranean") and enjoy a visit with Bob Hope aboard the USS Saratoga. On 12 December, the death of SFP3 Gilbert Vieselmeyer saddened and marred the Christmas season which was spent in Cannes, France.

 On 1 January, 1970, Cone switched from DesDiv 42 to DesDiv 62. Cone contined to operate as a member of the U.S. Sixth Fleet through the end of March. She underwent all the usual training during this time but only one moment really stood out. On the night of 2 March, a Cone sailor, SA Plummer and FTCS Wright from the USS Sampson were instrumental in rescuing a drowning civilian, Giadano Schultz, thus enhancing the reputation of this ship and the U.S. Navy in Europe. The Navy Commendation Medal was subsequently awarded to SA Plummer.

The remainder of 1970 saw Cone operate in all conditions up and down the eastern seaboard. As usual, the Cone did well in most exercises, etc. However, on 21 July, she attempted to fire naval gunfire support for qualification but sustained a mechanical casualty to the fire control system. After repairs, Cone successfully fired for qualifications.

LCDR G. J. Jenkins, Jr., USN relieved LCDR W. H. Batts, Jr., USN, as the Executive Officer on 3 September, 1970.

On November 3-4, the Cone underwent the Nuclear Technical Proficiency Inspection. The ship received a score of Outstanding. The score of 96.55 was the highest recorded of all Charleston based ships for the year at that time.

The Cone finally got to spend a Christmas stateside. She returned to pier side at Charleston on 18 November, 1970 and remained until 17 January, 1971.

With all preparations completed, Cone was again underway to the Caribbean and operation Springboard '71. During this exercise, Cone delivered shore bombardment under simulated wartime conditions in conjunction with other air and surface units.

Upon completion of Springboard, Cone underwent her annual Operational Readiness Inspection. Cone's highly successful completion saw her released for the transit home. Mother nature intervened. A howling storm moved into the area with weather so inclement that Cone was unable to refuel from the USS Nantahala. ComDesRon Four ordered Cone to refuel in San Juan. The rest of the squadron, already refueled, sailed on home. Cone followed, hosting the entire squadron staff for the transit home, arriving in Charleston on 8 February, 1971.

Cone remained in Charleston for shipboard training, etc., until March 29 when she was once again underway, this time for exercises in the Virginia Capes area and gunfire support at Bloodworth Island, Maryland. Having successfully completed her Naval Gunfire Support qualifications, Cone returned home on Friday morning, 2 April.

The next two weeks were busy with all hands making preparations for the upcoming Mediterranean deployment. On Thursday, 15 April, Cone got underway with Destroyer Squadron Four enroute to the Mediterranean. The transit was made in electronic silence with all communications being conducted by flag hoist or flashing light. Cone's first port of entry was in Rota, Spain on the 25th of April. Incidentally, Cone observed her first of many Soviet ships seen during the cruise, patrolling off Rota, Spain.

After port of calls in Tangiers, Morocco and the British Crown Colony of Gibraltar, Cone participated in Anti-Submarine warfare exercises and was also tasked with observing Soviet warships anchored off Tunisia, North Africa. The next two weeks were spent in Naples for a tender availabililty alongside the USS Cascade.

On May 22, Cone got underway for Argostoli, Greece where she would rendevous with other ships of the Sixth Fleet and join operation National Week, a large scale air, surface, and sub-surface exercise involving most units of the Sixth Fleet. The initial phases of this operation saw Cone operating with the flagship of the Sixth Fleet, USS Springfield (CLG 7). On 24 May, Cone was overflown by high flying Soviet aircraft for the first time on this cruise.

Cone's next port was Taranto, Italy. However, after only a few short hours, she was ordered to get underway to conduct special operations observing the Soviet Mediterranean Fleet. With no sightings, she made port at Catania, Sicily on 6 June. While there,Mr. Hugh Mulligan, an Associated Press Correspondent joined Cone. The ship then headed back to sea to observe Russian ships thus providing Mr. Mulligan with an opportunity to write a feature story about Cone, her crew and the Russian presence in the Mediterranean.

Most of the next ten days the crew observed Soviet vessels in the Kithira, Greece anchorage, north of Crete. At various times, Cone was tasked with accompanying specific vessels such as the helicopter carrier LENNINGRAD and a new prototype destroyer which was observed transiting from the Baltic to the Black Sea. Thus, all hands were afforded an opportunity to observe the ships forming the impressive Soviet Fleet in the Mediterranean.

After various exercises and ports of call, Cone returned to the business of operation National Week on the 16th of August. On the 17th, a fire broke out in the after steering. The quick action of the crew, and especially the damage control and fire fighting parties, prevented any major damage except the loss of a large number of light bulbs stored in the area. After successful operation, participants of National Week anchored in Soudha Bay, Crete for the post- exercise critique 27 August. The following morning found Cone transiting to Ibize for a port visit and a Change of Command ceremony. September 6, Commander H. L. Hinkley, USN was relieved by Commander B. M. Ervin, USN as Commanding Officer.

The rest of the deployment was uneventful and held no moments of importance. On 7 October, Cone transited the Straights of Gibraltor with Destroyer Squadron Four and "chopped" to Second Fleet. She arrived in Charleston on October 16 to a joyful reunion of family and friends.

Cone began a thirty day stand-down period until 16 November when she sailed with Destroyer Squadron Four for eight days of local operations and a port visit to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Embarking Commodore Fay while in port, she returned to Charleston on November 23.

The Christmas holidays were again spent in port and the ships crew began preparations for a shipyard overhaul beginning in January, 1972.

Cone entered the Charleston Naval Shipyard on 19 January for approximately three months of refurbishing and repairs. A rejuvenated ship returned to sea early in May for sea trials and other evolutions in preparation for refresher training.

On 31 May, she set sail for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The four weeks following were very busy as the crew earnestly undertook refresher training and brought the ship to a peak of operational readiness.

Upon completion of refresher training and following a relaxing Fourth of July holiday at Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, V.I., Cone had a highly successful day of Naval Gunfire Support qualifications at Vieques Island. The busy schedule continued with Weapons Systems Accuracy Trials off St. Croix, V.I.; again Cone's crew demonstrated their proficiency and operational readiness in the very early and successful completion of all tests, which resulted in certification of the ships anti-submarine suit.

The crew finally got underway for home 16 July arriving in Charleston on the 18th.

September 5, Cone put to sea for three weeks of duty as school ship for the Naval Destroyer School, Newport, R.I. In the next several weeks the crew assisted the Destroyer School instructors in teaching some of the Navy's future destroyer department heads every phase of shipboard operations.

Early in October, Cone headed for Port Canaveral, Florida to serve as support ship for the submarine USS Robert E. Lee (SSBN 601) during DASO operations. On the morning of October 5, Cone hosted approximately 100 dignitaries and dependents to a day at sea during which they witnessed, from a distance of only 1100 yards, the live firing of a Polaris A-3 missile from the submarine Robert E. Lee. While at Cape Kennedy, word was received that the ship would deploy to the western Pacific on 1 November. With a very short notice the crew worked overtime the next few weeks in preparing the ship for a seven month deployment to a combat zone.

On November 1, Cone in company with USS R.E. Kraus (DD-849) sailed from Charleston. They were later joined by USS W.C. Lawe (DD-763) and USS McCaffery (DD-860) and all transited the Panama Canal and, after a brief stop at Rodman, Canal Zone, for fuel, entered the blue Pacific with the next stop Pearl Harbor.

Cone and company departed Pearl Harbor on 20 November enroute to Yokosuka, Japan. The ships high speed transit was interrupted briefly on Thanksgiving morning with a stop at Midway Island for fuel.

The next six days were spent in a Pacific gale as Cone battered her way through heavy weather toward Yokosuka. On 26 November, Cone officially became an operational unit of the U.S. Seventh Fleet.

Following a brief but busy upkeep period in Yokosuka, Cone sailed for the coastal waters of the Republic of Vietnam on 5 December. On arrival late on 9 December the ship joined Task Group 75.9 and was assigned gunfire support duties for the 1st ARVN Division just north of DaNang. However, Cone's entrance into action was delayed one day by the impromptu landing of the UH-46 Sea Knight helicopter on the fantail. The helo, which had engine failure while delivering Christmas mail to the ship, made a forced landing on the fantail with only minor damage to the ship and minimal damage to the helicopter. Quick reaction by the ships crew and pilot prevented any personnel injuries or fire. The helicopter was secured to the deck and off-loaded in DaNang the next morning.

The next several days were spent providing Naval Gunfire Support to friendly forces in the Republic of Vietnam. Cone was assigned several stations from just north of DaNang up to just below the Demilitarized Zone.

From 15 to 19 December Cone was assigned to Task Group 77.7 as mutual support ship for USS Ranger (CVA 61) while operating on Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Early on the 19th, Commander Task Force 75 recalled Cone to the gunline. The ship spent two days providing gunfire support before commencing special operations as part of Task Unit 77.1.1 in the Tonkin Gulf north of the DMZ.

The last 11 days of 1972 were spent in a very hostile environment with most of the crew experiencing their first real combat action. Except for the brief Christmas respite, Cone participated in two to three strike missions nightly, often in the face of intense hostile fire. Cone had the distinction of conducting the final surface strike mission of 1972, and just before midnight New Year's Eve, fired the last round of surface ordnance for the Seventh Fleet in 1972. The ship had worked and fought hard since her arrival off Vietnam 9 December. Several thousand rounds of 5 inch 38 caliber ammunition were fired in combat, and several hundred rounds of incoming hostile fire were taken close aboard. Although some superficial scars from shrapnel resulted, no significant damage was suffered by the ship.

1973 opened as '72 had ended, with Cone still conducting surveillance operations during the day and strike operations against high value military targets at night. This continued through the 3rd with little free time along the way.

On 3 January Cone was detached from the Task Unit and ordered to proceed to Subic Bay, Republic of the Phillipines, for a period of rest and refit. The transit to Subic Bay in company with USS Ranger (CVA 61) took two days and Cone arrived on the morning of 5 January. During the eight days spent in Subic Bay Cone underwent extensive repairs and refitting from the Ship Repair Facility. Several new items were introduced aboard the ship which would serve to decrease vulnerability to air attack and to detection, but none of the items were ever used. On 13 January Cone once again weighed anchor bound for Yankee Station in the Gulf of Tonkin.

From 13 to 15 January Cone operated with Ranger as plane guard. On 15 January the ship was detached to report to the gunline. Cone conducted gunfire support operations from 15 through 23 January, leaving only briefly to refuel, rearm, and replenish as necessary. On 23 January Cone rejoined Ranger as plane guard during flight operations, but the stay was brief and the ship was ordered to return to the gunline. Late that evening Cone was once again conducting gunfire support off the coast of South Vietnam.

From 25 to 29 January Cone again accompanied Ranger but the respite was a brief one and on 29 January Cone again reported to the gunline commander, ready for duty. From 29 January until 6 February Cone remained on station, serving as a support element after the signing of the ceasefire. On 6 February Cone bid what proved to be a final goodby to the gunline and coastal waters of Vietnam, departing for the first liberty port of the WESTPAC deployment, Keelung, Taiwan, Republic of China.

After a stormy transit through the Straits of Taiwan, Cone entered Keelung harbor on the morning of 8 February. The crew of the Cone enjoyed the sights of Taiwan for four days before once again weighing anchor, bound for Hong Kong, British Crown Colony. Two days later, on 14 February, the ship moored in Hong Kong. This was a busy stop for the ship and crew. There was a great deal that needed to be done in the way of upkeep and repair as well as a change of command ceremony. On 19 February Cdr. B. M. Ervin was relieved as Commanding Officer by Cdr. V. Sylvester. Hong Kong was perhaps the most memorable port visited in WESTPAC, since it was there that it was learned that the deployment was to be cut short and that from Hong Kong the course would be set for Charleston, South Carolina. That alone, aside from the excellent liberty and Oriental hospitality afforded by the "Pearl of the Orient", made the stay unforgettable.

On 20 February, with an eager and refreshed crew and a new Captain, Cone set sail for Yokosuka, Japan, a port to be visited only briefly prior to beginning her lengthy trek across the Pacific Ocean.

On the morning of 24 February, Cone arrived at Yokosuka to prepare for the long journey to the Panama Canal, the next Port-of-Call after Japan. Cone was once again underway the following morning in company with USS Schofield (DDG 3), USS O'Hare (DD 889), and USS Rich (DD 820) bound for home.

The transit of the Pacific was long and uneventful with plenty of good weather, fair winds, and blue skies. The pace was an abrupt change from the frantic hustling of the war zone, and a welcome one. Ship and crew were seasoned veterans; had proven themselves under impossible circumstances and under fire. They were enjoying this particular cruise in a way it is rarely possible to enjoy any cruise, in short, they were going home. The days and weeks were interspersed with refuelings and replenishments at which the crew had become quite proficient in WESTPAC. The frequent shift of time zones became an occasion as each new zone was a step closer to home. On 15 March Cone arrived at Rodman, Balboa, Panama Canal Zone. Spending only a single night in Rodman, the ship was underway the next morning and passed through the locks out into the Atlantic Ocean. After five days in transit Cone reached her homeport of Charleston, S.C. after an absence of four and one-half months on 20 March 1973.

During the period 20 March through 20 April the ship was in a stand-down but a great deal of emphasis was placed on improving the material condition, cleanliness, and liveablility of the ship, and bringing the equipment status to a peak of readiness. The time was also spent in training, molding the new personnel reporting aboard into an effective team, and keeping those who had been aboard for some time current in the areas of their particular skills.

Not until 29 May did Cone get underway for an appreciable amount of time. On that day the ship departed Charleston to participate in LANTREADEX 3-73 in the azure waters of the Caribbean. LANTREADEX offered the first opportunity for the ship to perform as a team since WESTPAC, and the first chance to evaluate the long hours of training and work that had gone into the ship since returning from Vietnam. The training received during LANTREADEX proved invaluable and the ship performed well as a unit, individually or as an element of a task force. On 4 June Cone entered Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, for a brief respite from the rapid pace of LANTREADEX and to debrief on the portion of the exercise completed. The ship departed on the afternoon of 5 June to conduct the final phases of the exercise. On 7 June after anchoring briefly at Roosevelt Roads to deliver the final data package, the ship left for San Juan arriving on the afternoon of the seventh. Four days later, after some rest and excellent liberty, Cone sailed toward Isla de Culebra for NGFS qualifications. With experienced personnel and a viable training program, qualifying at Culebra proved surprisingly easy. The ship had gained a wealth of experience in this short period of operations. Aside from underway time, steaming independently and in formation, valuable training for Bridge and CIC personnel were obtained in numberous ESM exercises. Gun crews and weapons personnel were involved in a live firing exercise, many for the first time. When Cone headed for Charleston late on the evening of 11 June, with LANTREADEX behind, a great deal in the way of experience and readiness had been gained. On the morning of 14 June Charleston harbor was once again in sight and late in the afternoon the ship was berthed at the Naval Station facing another long period of inactivity.

Not until 6 July, when a brief period was spent in Charleston Naval Shipyard for extensive repairs and improvements to the crew's messing area, did the ship move. On 10 July Cone returned to the Naval Station. In August it was announced that Cone would become a unit of Destroyer Squadron 34 in September. It was also in August that Destroyer Squadron 4 presented Cone with a Meritorious Unit Commendation for service in Vietnam.

On 1 September 1973 USS Cone became a member of the Naval Reserve Force with the mission of training Reservists in order to maintain a strong and ready Reserve. On 14 September Cone's crew of Selected Reservists reported aboard for their first drill. They were immediately swept into the vortex of activity; training, maintenance, improvements, and a thousand other things taking place. The transition was an easy one, for the ship and crew were geared to assimilate these new personnel as rapidly and with as little difficulty and confusion as possible. It was a very short time before the necleus and Selected Reserve personnel found themselves working as a team.

September moved quickly into October and Cone remained in port. During October Cone began conversion to Naval Distillate fuel. The conversion meant extensive modifications to the engineering plant which in turn meant more time alongside the pier. The time spent in port was put to good use as crew members attended courses at the various Fleet Training Centers and training visits from mobile training units became a matter of course. The ship moved steadily toward a peak of cleanliness and material readiness. A great deal of effort was exerted to refurbish the interior spaces of the ship from the bilges up and the time was well spent. During this long period in port Cone went through two especially productive periods of Tender Availability with USS Yellowstone (AD 27) and ship's force was supplemented with aid from various Reserve units which came aboard for Active Duty for Training. A great deal of work was accomplished in a minimal amount of time and conditions throughout the ship reflected the efforts.

The remainder of October, and the entire months of November and December were spent in port. The Naval Distillate conversion was accomplished on schedule, the final work being finished on 14 December and tested on 19 December, when fires were lighted in number two and number four boilers and the plant was steamed successfully on its new source of energy. The ship was in a period of Holiday stand-down from 10 December through 10 January for purposes of Christmas and New Years leave and the crew spent the holidays with families and friends. The memories of Christmas in WESTPAC seemed far away and a long time past.

1974 brought a new factor into naval operations, the energy crisis, and USS Cone (DD 866) spent more time in port than in any operational year in her 30 year history. In the first month of the new year Cone had only five days at sea. From the fourteenth to the seventeenth Cone spent 3 days in the Charleston Operating Area evaluating her new source of energy, Naval Distillate fuel, and working off the lethargy of the long holiday stand-down period. Cone again went to sea on 25 January with her selected reserve crew for underway training in the Charleston Op-area, returning the following day. Not until 7 February did the ship again get underway, bound for Mayport, Florida, arriving on the eighth and moving immediately into an intensive period of tender availablility with USS Yosemite (AD 19) until 24 February. During this period the energy crunch was severe with long lines of automobiles at gas stations and many stations closing due to the unavailability of gasoline. In view of this situation operating tempos were dramatically reduced and the two week period of underway training scheduled for Cone was reduced to daily operations five days a week. This schedule was followed from the 24th of February through 8 March. In this period Cone trained the Selected Reserve crew of the USS Steinaker (DD 865), which was undergoing overhaul. This training period was especially significant not only for the Steinaker crew but for Cone as well because it included the most rigorous preparations; preparations which culminated in an Operational Readiness Inspection which evaluated the ship as a combat capable and combat ready unit. All phases of the ship's performance were tested, Engineering, Operations and Weapons. The result was a successful ORI with the ship scoring well in every phase and a significant improvement in the overal capabilities of the ship.

On 8 March Cone left Mayport and arrived in Charleston the next day, facing a long period of inactivity. From 9 March until 12 August Cone remained in Charleston except for the week-end of 20 July when the ship trained her Selected Reserve crew in the Charleston Op-area. Several significant events took place during this period. In April the annual Intermediate Unit Commander's Inspection was conducted with the ship showing excellence in every category, especially in the PMS portion. In June Cone was the host ship for DESRON 34 change of command. This long period in port was put to good use in training and in the upkeep and improvement of the ship, but the long period away from the demanding environment of the sea could only be detrimental to the overall readiness of the ship.

In July rumors began to circulate that the ship might possibly be going to the Mediterranean and preparations began so that the ship could be ready for any eventuality. It was in July also that the quick action of the ship's inport damage control party averted a near catastrophe when a fire broke out in the U/B plot. Although the space was heavily damaged by smoke and fire, the actual damage was not as severe as feared and, through a determined effort the ship's sonar gang had the Underwater Battery fully operational within 48 hours. The fire took place on 11 July and the ship was ready for sea by the twentieth, the regular Selected Reserve training week-end.

Cone remained inport through 6 August, spending one day at the Naval Weapons Station on the 6th, and returning to the Naval Station to remain through 12 August. In August the ship received word that it would participate in "Exercise Northern Merger", a NATO exercise in the North Atlantic, and preparations were made to deploy in September. On 12 August Cone embarked her Selected Reserve for two weeks of training in COMPTUEX 2-75 in the Virginia Capes Operating Area. This period of intensive training would be the only opportunity to prepare for "Northern Merger" and the ship used the time to good advantage. Arriving in Norfolk on 15 August for a brief port visit through 19 August, the ship entered into the exercise and was swept into a vortex of activity. Surface and air gunnery exercises, anti-submarine warfare exercises, underway replenishment, and helicopter operations were all a part of the myriad activity of COMPTUEX and all a necessary prelude to the upcoming deployment.

Cone returned to Charleston on 24 August to remain there until 5 September when the ship was scheduled to get underway for the North Atlantic. Cone was unable to get underway on 5 September do to an attempted sabotage of the engineering spaces when a large amount of sugar was detected in the lube oil system. Through the massive efforts of the ship's engineers, working around the clock, Cone got underway late in the afternoon of 6 September. Cone joined the "Northern Merger" task force on 9 September to begin the long trek across the North Atlantic. "Northern Merger" was an experiment in minimal manning for Cone. There would be no augmentation of the regular crew by reservists during the entire period. The ship would operate with a crew approximately two-thirds the size of a normal crew yet would be expected to perform in the demanding environment of the North Atlantic on equal footing with the other exercise participants. Though the exercise was scheduled to begin on 16 September, the inclement and capricious North Atlantic weather brewed high winds and seas to delay the separation of the transit task force into the various elements of the exercise. Not until the 18th when the force reached the lee of the Faroe Islands could Cone refuel and safely detach to join the Orange Forces. The exercise continued through 26 September and Cone performed well operating as an intelligence gatherer and later as an attack platform against the Blue Forces. The weather remained severe throughout the exercise and proved a true test of the ship and crew. Upon completion of the exercise on 26 September Cone rejoined several of the transit group for a port visit to Pourtsmouth, England arriving there on 29 September.

 From 29 September through 4 October Cone enjoyed the hospitality of England. The period, though brief, was enjoyable due, in large measure, to the herculean efforts of the host ship for the visit, HMS Intrepid (L-10). Cone bid fond adieu to England on the 4th, bound once again across the turbid North Atlantic for Halifax, Nova Scotia. The return transit took only 7 days with a rather novel experience for Cone; refueling from a carrier, USS America (CVA 66). Cone moored at Halifax on the eleventh. The visit to Halifax not only coincided with the celebration of Joseph Howe Days festival but also an opportunity to celebrate the Navy birthday. Host ship for Cone's visit to Halifax was HMCS Annapolis (DDM 265) and, as in England, the effort to make the visit pleasurable was significant and successful. Cone left Halifax on 14 October and arrived in Charleston on 16 October.

From 16 October through 23 November Cone remained inport. The weekend of 23-24 November was underway training for the Selected Reservists in the Charleston Operating Area. Not until 2 December did Cone get underway for a significant period. On 2 December Cone embarked a class of Naval Destroyer School Students for two-weeks of training in the Charleston- Jacksonville Operating Area. This training involved every department and was invaluable to the crew as well as the DESCOL students. On 6 December Cone entered Port Everglades, Florida for a brief respite from the wearing pace of DESCOL operations. After enjoying three days in the warm, congenial climate of the Fort Lauderdale area, Cone put to sea again on the 9th to resume the rigorous training schedule. Upon completion of these fast paced operations on 12 December Cone returned to Charleston and received congratulations from the Destroyer School for a most successful cruise. December 15 marked the beginning of the holiday stand-down period and Cone remained in Charleston throughout the last few days of 1974.

During the week of 27 through 31 January 1975, Cone successfully passed her INSURV inspection which was a test of her material readiness. For the next three weeks Cone was under tender availability with the USS Yellowstone. Cone ended this successful availabillity/upkeep period of almost two months duration by getting underway 22-23 February. These two days were February's SELRES weekend and extensive training was held including a Radar Beacon Acquisition and Naval Gunfire Support preparation exercises. Cone then returned from the Charleston Oparea for two weeks of maintenance and upkeep.

Cone got underway again on 10 March, this time to head for Bloodsworth Island, Maryland for Naval Gunfire Support requalification. She successfully completed her qualifications on the 11th and anchored for the night in Chesapeake Bay. Cone returned to Charleston on the 13th to spend the next month in upkeep. The Reserve Weekend of this period was spent in comprehensive inport training of the SELRES crew in their respective rates.

On 16 April the Cone was again underway, having volunteered to take the place of another ship who could not make her committment. The exercise was Agate Punch and Cone performed successfully until relieved on the 21st. While underway for Agate Punch Cone picked up her prospective Commanding Officer, Cdr D. W. Somers, Jr. and relieving ceremonies were held on board at 1030 hours, 28 April. After a short period of time inport following the change of command Cone was underway again on the 7th of May for submarine services in the Charleston Oparea.

Returning to Charleston on 9 May Cone spent two weeks in port before getting underway again on the 21st. During this at sea period a great deal of training was conducted including ASW exercises, firing ASROC and AWTT torpedoes, gunfire exercises and on station watch training. Cone pulled in Port Everglades, Florida on 24 May and enjoyed three days liberty there.

Returning to home port on 28 May Cone spent the next three weeks in upkeep. During the first week in June RADM Adamson, COMNAVSURFLANT, visited Cone. He expressed his pleasure in the personal appearance of the crew in a letter the following week. Reserve weekend on 14 and 15 June again involved conducting inport training. On the 16th Cone embarked the Selected Reserve Crew from the USS Owens and again got underway. During this period comprehensive deck evolutions were conducted, including a VERTREP from the USS Saratoga, UNREP from USS Seattle, highline and towing with USS Lawe, ASW with Sandlance, Div tacs with USS Lawe and USS Sellers, and precision anchoring. On 19 June Cone embarked COMDESRON 34 and staff for five days. Cone pulled into Freeport, Grand Bahamas for three days of liberty, 20-23 June. After debarking COMDESRON 34 and staff in Charleston on the 24th, Cone returned to the Charleston Oparea for TACEADEX 1-75 exercises with USS Lawe in which she acted as OCE. She returned to port with a well earned "BZ" and headed for the Naval Weapons Station to offload ASROC's and torpedoes on the 27th. USS Owen's Reserve crew debarked later that day upon arrival at the Naval Station, having completed a full and worthwhile two weeks summer training. Cone served as host and support ship for the ARA Francisco de Gurrachaga of Argentina and the ARC Tumalo of Columbia from 1 July until their departure later that month.

Cone now commenced much needed repairs during a TAV from the USS Sierra and an RAV from Readiness Support Group. A "Fast Cruise" was held 8 August to check out systems and Cone was ready to get underway for a few final system checks. Cone went to the Naval Weapons Stations on 12 August to onload torpedoes, ASROC, AND 5-inch ammunition.

Cone got underway 14 August for ASW and gun training, and returned to Charleston on the 16th only long enough to embark her own Selected Reserve Crew. This time Cone was underway for CARIBREX 1-76. Conducting ASW and gun training enroute, Cone arrived at Naval Station Roosevelt Roads, P.R. on the 19th. On the 20th Cone left for Vieques for the first of two days of Naval Gunfire Support requalification. Cone underwent a night UNREP with the USS Caloosahatchee on the 21st after ASW exercises with USS Vesole and on the 22nd Cone returned to Roosevelt Roads. On the 23rd Cone completed her Naval Gunfire Support requalifications (which later contributed to earning her the Gunnery "E") and commenced transit as Orange Forces for CARIBREX 1-76. After successfully acting as Orange Raider, Cone was detached on 28 August to return to Charleston and debark her Selected Reserve Crew.

After five days inport Cone was underway again for ASW exercises from 3-6 September in which POM support was provided for Commander Submarine Squadron 4. During this period she fired two ASROC and two AWTT exercise torpedoes at submarines. Upon her return to port Cone found out that she had been designated special test ship for the 35/65 (35% active crew, 65% reserve crew) manning experiment. This demanding assignment would mean a drastic reduction in the number of Cone's active duty crew and turned out to be a challenge of the highest order.

Cone remained inport at Charleston, except for two underway periods for ASW exercises, 17-19 and 20-21 September, until 3 October. Then, in response to requests from the Tampa and Savannah councils of the Navy League, Cone got underway to help those two cities celebrate the Navy's Bicentennial Anniversary. The trip began with a dependents cruise to Savannah, Georgia on 3 October. Cone held open house 4 and 5 October in that city for more than 2000 visitors. Getting underway on 7 October, Cone conducted exercises en route to Tampa, arriving 9 October. More celebrations and ceremonies were held, with open house on the 11th and 12th hosting more than 4500 visitors. Cone held her own Navy Bicentennial celebration on the 13th and got underway for Charleston on the 14th.

Arriving in Charleston on the 16th, Cone spent two days at home before getting underway for Reserve weekend 18-19 October. Cone returned to port long enough to debark her Selected Reserve Crew and was underway again for COMPTUEX 3-76. On 20 October Cone embarked COMDESRON 20 and staff by highline and they remained on board until returning to Charleston. In company with USS Koelsch, USS N. K. Perry, USS Ellison, USS Damato and USCGC Dallas, Cone participated in UNREPS and Fleet ASW exercises; small boat evolutions , communications, ASW and CIC exercises were conducted incidental to this. Cone returned to Charleston 24 October with a "Well Done" for ASW and Communications and remained inport for maintenance for two weeks.

Cone got underway on 9 November for her baseline inspection in the Ship Manning and Operational Readiness Evaluation (SMORE 35/65 program) and conducted a successful Operations Readiness Inspection (ORI) observed by SMORELANT.

On 2 December Cone got underway to provide ASW services for USS Grayling, USS Tunney, and USS Rivers and to assist USS Ingram in her SMORE inspection. On 3 December Cone assisted USS Keystone who was taking on water. Pulling into Port Canaveral on 6 December, Cone stopped for well-deserved liberty before going back to sea on the 9th. On the 10th she assisted USS Leader in mine field drills just prior to returning home. Cone then spent the rest of the month inport for holiday stand-down except for one day at sea with her Selected Reserve Crew on the 13th. During the month RADM Nivison visited Cone to discuss SMORE with the Commanding Officer.

Calendar year 1975 was eventful and successful for Cone, featuring generous underway time. The demonstrated engineering reliability and sensor/weapons reliability, which allowed her to frequently act as a replacement in fleet exercises for units suffering breakdown, resulted in major battle readiness improvement. Evidence of this came in August when Cone was advised that she had been awarded the Battle Efficiency "E", ASW "A" and corresponding gunnery and operations awards.

Cone ushered 1976 in while sitting in the Charleston Naval Base. SelRes weekend 16-18 January was spent underway for routine training and exercise. Cone also pulled target sleds for USS Meredith (DD 890). CARIBREX 2-76 began on 22 January. Cone rendezvoused with Task Group 27.2 for exercises the next day. On 24 January, Captain F. F. Ames, Jr., COMDESRON Three Four, sent a message commending Cone for "short notice participation and professionalism". The Helo Detail was set on 26 January as the first GTMO observer came aboard. Cone refueled from USS Canisteo that day. 27-29 January was spent in various operational exercises. During 30 January - 2 February Cone joined USS Koelsch (FF 1049) and USS Spadefish (SSN 668) for ASW exercises.

7 February Cone towed HNLMS Rotterdam to Roosevelt Roads, and remained in Roosevelt Roads overnight. Two week ACDUTRA reserves were embarked on the 8th and Cone returned to sea. On the 13th and 14th Cone fired her guns in NGF support training. On the 20th of February Cone supplied NGF support for Onslow Beach landing at Little River Inlet, North Carolina. Later that day Cone was involved in high line transfer of observers, concluding CARIBREX 2-76. In all, 25 ships of the English, Dutch, and U.S. Navies had taken part in the exercise.

On 21 February Cone returned to her home port of Charleston receiving a "job well done on CARIBREX" from CTG 27.2. Cone had earned the "Top Gunner" award, for having the highest NGFS score of 83.3. All arms loaded were expended and all ASW Weapons used, firing 2 ASROC's and 2 torpedoes.

17 March five reservists boarded for 27 days of ACDUTRA. VADM Charbonnet, Chief of the Naval Reserve also visited the ship that day. On 24 March ship's picnic was held. The 27-29 March SelRes weekend was spent at sea performing readiness training and exercises. March came to a close with an awards ceremony for the Battle Efficiency "E"s on the Dash deck.

19 April Cone shifted to pier Sierra in Charleston to offload ammo in preparation for the upcoming docking period in Savannah. On 24 April Cone was underway for Savannah. On arrival Cone hosted the USS Julius A. Furer (FFG 6). The Savannah Machine and Shipyard, Co. Dry Dock, entered on 8 May, was to be Cone's home for the next two months. The 18-20 June SelRes weekend was held in dry dock.

Cone left dry-dock on 1 July. She refueled on the 6th and held dock trials and a fast cruise on the 8th and 9th respectively. On 12 July Cone sailed from Savannah heading for her homeport, Charleston, where she was to enter Braswell Shipyard for regular overhaul.

The 11th of August brought a visit from COMDESRON Three Four, Captain F. F. Ames, Jr and his new relief Captain W. D. Daniels. The Change of Command ceremony was held on the USS Lawe (DD 763) on 14 August.

21 August LT Moore, ENS Wentzel and YNSN Haywood, all of USS Cone, went to Pensacola, Florida for 5 days, representing the 6th Naval District at the Annual All Navy Sailing Regatta. On 6 September Cone sent ETR3 Gerald W. Rutter to represent the 6th Naval District in the Atlantic Fleet Competition Skeet Shoot.

Navy Birthday (week) was celebrated concurrently with Fire Prevention Week during 4-9 October. The week brought such events as P-250 drills, OBA team contest, ship's picnic, cake cutting contest and other events.

On 20 November, the first lightoff of the forward plant was accomplished. 25 November brought Thanksgiving with the crew of the Cone celebrating the holiday in a restaurant ashore. On 15-16 December dock trials were held at Braswell Shipyard followed by a fast cruise on 18-19 December observed by RADM Wilcox. On 20 December Cone departed the shipyard and returned to Naval Station Shipyard where the ship remained for the rest of the year 1976.

Calendar year 1976 was a trying year for Cone. Hampered first by the 35-65 program where the ship's manning was reduced to 35 per cent, Cone ended the year in overhaul. Though steaming time and personnel were reduced, each challenge was met with continued excellence. Word came on 6 December that Cone had been awarded the Battle Efficiency "E" again with the CIC Green "E", ASW "A" and Damage Control "D/C". A phone call from Commodore Daniels congratulated Cone for taking "more awards that any other ship in the Atlantic Fleet". This later was found to be the highest per cent while not the most in number. All in all Cone personnel were proud that their accomplishments aboard Cone had been "well done" in 1976.>/P

January 1, 1977 found Cone sitting in the Braswell Shipyard in Charleston, South Carolina. A fast cruise was held on 3 January and the ship shifted to the Naval Station for an ammo onload and refueling the next day. Late in the afternoon Cone began sea trials. Cone celebrated the successful completion of the trials by returning to the Naval Station on 6 January. The remainder of January was devoted to various inspections that were required after the yard period.

After an ammunition onload in early February, Cone departed for Mayport, Florida arriving the next day on 9 February. During the period 14-18 February, Cone conducted operations with USS Saratoga (CV 60). Cone conducted an underway replenishment with USS Canisteo (AO 99) on 17 February. Even though most personnel had little or no UNREP experience, it was a most successful operation. The selected reserve crew embarked on Cone in Mayport on the 18th. Underway the next day, the ship arrived in Charleston on 20 February. While in Mayport, the prospective commanding officer, CDR Warren E. McLaine, Jr., reported on board. He relieved CDR David W. Somers, Jr., on 25 February in Charleston, South Carolina.

 Cone received a Force Medical Inspection on March 2nd. The 11-12 March SELRES weekend was spent inport preparing for up-coming operations. 14 March was spent in transit to Savannah, Ga. Members of the Savannah St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee embarked for the day long trip. 17 March, St. Patrick's Day, was the highlight of the five day port visit with Cone providing a special marching detail for the parade. The ship's open house to the public was made more interesting by a combined fire drill with the Savannah Port Authority. The children especially enjoyed the fire engines clanging and the excitement of a realistic drill.

Cone was underway for Operation Cleansweep on 18 March, joining up on 19 March and detaching on 23 March. Cone replenished from USS Canisteo (AO 99) on 21 March and arrived back in Charleston on the 24th of March.

Underway for a port visit in Port Everglades, Florida, on 28 March, Cone participated in limited squadron operations with USS William C. Lawe (DD 763). Because of a personnel injury, Cone made an emergency stop in Mayport, Florida, and proceeded to Port Everglades on 29 March. After an enjoyable port visit, Cone was underway for Charleston on 4 April, arriving the following day.

The month of April was spent inport with various inspections and assist visits including the FTC Ravir trainer which provided valuable synthetic anti-air warfare training. The SELRES weekend of 16-17 April was also held inport. During 4-5 May Cone received the Force 3-M Inspection. During the SELRES weekend of 7-8 May, Cone was underway in the Charleston operating area with the Reserve Fleet Training Group in preparation for refresher training in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

After weeks of preparation, Cone departed for Guantanamo Bay on 20 May, arriving on the 23rd. Off the northern coast of Cuba on 22 May, Cone encountered the "Wizard of Bristol" an American pleasure craft that had just been released from Cuban custody. The skipper of the boat was offered assistance, but this was not required and the ship proceeded on to Guantanamo Bay.

Cone was underway for refresher training on the first day scheduled. Intensive training continued for three weeks, interupted briefly bya special ship's party on the 29th of May, and a port call to Port-au-Prince, Haiti on 4-5 June.

On 10 June Cone transited to Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico, where inport preparations for WSAT were made. Cone transited to Fredrickstead, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands, on 17 June. 18-21 June were spent on the WSAT range. Cone moored at Fredrickstead in the evening for liberty. The evening of 21 June was used to transit to Vieques, Puerto Rico, for naval gunfire support training. During the period of 22-24 June, Cone was on the NGFS range and successfully qualified. MT 52 was manned primarily by a very enthusiastic group of honorary gunners mates from "B" Division, and from the Wardroom and CPO Quarters who serenaded the ship with a vivacious rendition of "Country Roads" when the ship received word it had qualified on the range and course was set for Charleston.

Back in Charleston for only four days, Cone was underway for Delta Services on 30 June, and for a dependent's cruise on 1 July. While on this cruise, STG3 Robert Rasin was married to Miss Debbie Bell. Channel 2 TV in Charleston carried the wedding and the cruise on their evening weather presentation.

SELRES weekend of 9-10 July was spent underway. All ammunition was offloaded on 15 July. An IMAV with SIMA Charleston began on 18 July and a RAV with Braswell Shipyard began on 25 July. Various repairs such as hull repairs were conducted. Both periods ended on 30 August. VADM Reed, COMNAVSUURFLANT, visited Cone on the afternoon of 2 August and spent several hours aboard talking with the crew, the CPO's, and the officers. Cone was reinspected in 3-M on 9-10 August, receiving a grade of satisfactory. The SELRES weekend of 12-14 August was held inport and was devoted to an HRAV survey. ACDUTRA commenced on 15 August and continue through 27 August. On 25 August the Supply Department received the Supply Management Inspection.

During 29 August - 2 September and 5-11 September, COMDESRON Three Four NRF conducted an IUC Command Inspection. The Commodore, Capt. W. D. Daniels, was embarked for the SELRES weekend of 10-11 September.

Cone was underway on 19 September for COMPTUEX 6-77. During this exercise, an underway replenishment was conducted with USS Milwaukee (AOR 2) on 20 September. On this same day, USS Mosopelia (ATF 158) provided services for Z-30/31-G. Over 150 rounds were fired with no casualties or malfunctins. Cone detached and returned to Charleston on 23 September.

Cone performed exceptionally well in sports during the fall. The football team, after leading in first place for most of the season, finished up in Second Place among the Charleston afloat commands. EMFN Gary Clarke finished in number one place in his boxing weight group twice during the year, the second time during the base Navy Birthday celebrations.

Navy Birthday was celebrated on 5 October with the annual ship's picnic. 10-16 October was the Navy Birthday week with special events being conducted. Personnel from Cone participated in various events during the Cone celebration. The highlight of the week was the Sixth Naval District Commandant's Retreat and awards received on 13 October.

15-16 October was an underway SELRES weekend in the local operations area. A FEWSG van was onloaded 20 October and Cone was underway that afternoon for services with USS Eisenhower (CVN 69). Cone joined up with COMPTUEX 1-78 on 23 October. There were UNREPS with USS Kalamazoo (AOR 6) on both 25 and 26 October. Detaching on 26 October Cone arrived in Nassau, Bahamas, for a port visit until 31 October. Underway for Charleston, Cone made a brief port call in Mayport, Florida, on 1 November to refuel and off-load the FEWSG van. Cone arrived in Charleston on the morning of 2 November.

Cone was underway again in the local operations area on 19 November for SELRES weekend. During the weekend there was a night UNREP with USS Kalamazoo (AOR 6) and a night illumination gunshoot. After a demanding weekend, Cone returned to Charleston on 20 November for upkeep. The underway SELRES weekend of 9-11 December was in the local operations area devoted to Delta services.

There was a special ship's Christmas party on 15 December. LCDR Streets was relieved as Executive Officer by LCDR Roger D. Parish on 23 December. Cone spent the remainder of the month in port resting from a demanding but successful year.

Cone began 1978 moored pierside at Pier "S" Charleston, S.C. for a tender availability.

On 22 January the SELRES Crew and COMDESRON 34 were embarked for a very brief at-sea period. Cone conducted ASW Operations, a helo exercise and a burial at sea. The remains of Chief Warrant Officer Thomas Mattick were committed to the sea. Mr. Mattick's son, STG1 Stanley Mattick, was aboard for the ceremony.

For the remainder of the month of January and through the 24th of February, Cone was busy preparing for the INSURV inspection. Beginning 13 February and ending 17 February personnel, administration, and PMS inspections by COMDESRON 34 were successfully completed.

During the weekend of 25-26 February Cone conducted inport SELRES training. Word was received on 13 March that CDR McLaine would not return to Cone due to medical problems. LCDR Parish assumed the duties as acting CO while Lt. Smith became acting XO. Cone was underway 14-19 March for a pre-INSURV shake-down cruise. 17-18 March Cone visited Savannah, Ga., for the St. Patrick's Day festivities. The SELRES Crew was embarked for the transit to Charleston.

The period 3-7 April was devoted to an INSURV inspection. During this inspection Cone successfully achieved full power and received many favorable comments from the inspection team regarding the material condition of the ship.

Change of Command was held 26 April. CDR George E. Pierce, from COMCRUDESGRU 2 staff relieved LCDR R. D. Parish (Acting CO) as Commanding Officer of Cone.

14-26 May Cone was underway with Commander Pierce as her Commanding Officer and COMDESRON 34 embarked to participate in Operation Solid Shield. During this exercise, intense training in Gunnery, ASW, and underway replenishment was completed, and Cone served as a simulated enemy opposition force for this major amphibious exercise off the coast of North Carolina.

COMCRUDESGRU TWO sponsored a small boat regatta for all units inport in Charleston on 2 June 1978. Cone's Motor Whale Boat was entered and was awarded second place for its smart appearance and skillful maneuvers.

The SELRES Crew and COMDESRON 34 embarked 17-18 June for the weekend.

Cone transited to Port Everglades 20-23 June. A port visit was made 24-27 June and enjoyed by all. Cone was underway form Port Everglades 27 June and moored in Charleston 28 June.

For the first two weeks of July, Cone remained inport. The inport period was devoted to personnel training. Personnel from several divisions were sent ashore to schools for training. Cone welcomed her new Executive Officer aboard on 21 July. LCDR E. D. Smith relieved Lt. S. W. Smith, the Acting Executive Officer.

On 29 July Cone was underway for Bloodsworth Island, Maryland, to conduct training and qualification in Naval Gunfire Support. Upon completion, Cone steamed up the Potomac River for Washington, DC. On 1 August Cone passed Washington's Tomb at Mount Vernon, Virginia. The ship's Honor Guard paraded on the ASROC Deck and as Cone passed abeam of the tomb, all hands were called to attention and honors rendered. Cone moored at Washington, DC, that morning.

Cone was underway from Washington, DC, on 3 August for participation in COMTUEX 4-78. Cone rendezvoused with Task Group 21.2 on 4 August. During this operation, AAW and ASW Exercises were conducted, including Exercise ASROC and Torpedo Firing. Completing a very intensive at-sea operation, Cone proceeded to Charleston and moored on the 11th of August.

15 August, Cone was underway for Pensacola, Florida, arriving 18 August, and embarked USS Owens' SELRES Crew. Cone's thirty-third birthday was celebrated. The SELRES weekend was spent at sea. Cone debarked the Owens' SELRES Crew on the 20th of August.

Cone got underway for New Orleans August 21, arriving the next day. Cone was underway with USS Lawe's SELRES Crew onboard on 25 August for underway SELRES training. The reserves were debarked back in New Orleans on the 26th. The 27th saw Cone underway for home where she arrived on 31 August.

The entire month of September was spent inport. Cone got underway only once during the month of October. On 21 October the SELRES Crew embarked for an underway SELRES weekend.

On 14 November Cone was underway for Exercise GULFEX 79 and conducted air gunnery her first day out. The following day, 15 November, Cone rendezvoused with Task Force 21. On the 22nd of November, Cone unreped with HMS Green Rover, a British Oiler, refueling by NATO coupling. Cone arrived in Coatzacoalcos, V.C., Mexico on 27 November to participate in a missile exercise. On 3 December Cone arrived back in Charleston.

Cone was underway on 15 December to conduct exercises with DESRON 34 ships over the weekend. Intensive training included Surface Gunnery and an unrep with USNS Marias (AO 57). After this busy weekend, all hands welcomed the Christmas Season and the end of another demanding, but successful, year.

1979 dawned with Cone preparing for READEX 1-79. Prior to departure, a 3-M Assist Visit was held on the 9th of January. On 15 January Cone was underway for READEX 1-79 during which the crew exercised in AAW, Gunnery, ASROC firing, and Over-the-Horizon Targeting. Port visits at St. Croix, 24-28 Jan., and St. Lucia, 6-8 February, were welcomed and deserved breaks for the crew during these exercises. While at St. Lucia, the Royal Governor of the Island and the Mayor of Castries visited. During January, the ship was notified that it was scheduled for decommissioning in FY-80.

On the 21st of February the IMAV planning conference was held followed by the embarkment of the SELRES Crew on the 24th and 25th.

The annual port visit to Savannah, Georgia was made on the 14th. Cone participated with the SELRES Crew embarked. Cone returned to Charleston on 18 March with the SELRES Crew and members of the Savannah Navy League.

The SIMA Arrival Conference was held on 21 March, followed on the 22nd and 23rd by COMNAVSURLANT 3-M Reinspection. COMDESRON 34 was aboard 28 March for award presentations including: Sailor of the Year, Sailor of the Quarter, and Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist Pins.

On 30 March Cone was underway for COMTUEX 2-79. During COMTUEX 2-79, Cone participated in AAW and ASW drills, as well as EW Exercises. Refueling and port visits were made at Roosevelt Roads. Cone returned to Charleston on 14 April. On 8 May Cone departed for SLQ-32 operations in the Jacksonville OPAREA, returning to Charleston on the 10th.

12-13 May was the SELRES Inport Weekend. On 14 May, a contingent of officers and enlisted from the Greek Navy arrived and used the week for inspecting Cone for possible Foreign Military Sale (FMS).

Cone was underway on 21 May for SLQ-34 Operations in the Puerto Rico OPAREA. USS Meredith's SELRES Crew was embarked during the first part of these operations, 18 May through 1 June. Fuel stops were made at Roosevelt Roads along with port visits there and at St. Martin. The regular SELRES Crew was embarked for the last part of the operation, 2 June through 17 June. Cone arrived in Charleston on 12 June. During the transit back to Charleston a cookout was held on the fantail which turned out to be a great success.

Cone participated in Delta Services with USS Grant. The SELRES Crew was on board during these services, 15-17 June. This was a memorable experience due to the very heavy weather. The SELRES Crew disembarked upon arrival back in Charleston.

Cone entered the Detyen Shipyard in Cainhoy, South Carolina in September for an extensive overhaul.

12 October saw a Change of Command ceremony aboard Cone. CDR H. R. Quarles, Jr. relieved CDR G. E. Pierce as the new Commanding Officer of Cone.

The new year, 1980, opened with Cone continuing her overhaul in Cainhoy, South Carolina. A significant milestone was attained on 25 January with undocking followed by the ship's departure from the yard for Charleston Naval Base on 8 February.

Rearming at Naval Weapons Station, Charleston on 11-12 March Cone visited Savannah, Georgia from 15-18 March to mark St. Patrick's day there. Embarked for the visit were members of the Selected Reserve Unit who remained aboard to conduct their annual active duty for training.

Departing from Savannah on 18 March, Cone returned to Charleston briefly and then proceeded to Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico arriving there on 24 March. While in the Caribbean, Cone conducted surface gunnery exercises against high speed drone targets and fired live ASW weapons on the underwater test range at speed drone targets and fired live ASW weapons on the underwater test range at St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands. Completion of weapons exercise on 27 March marked the end of an intensive period of training for the ship and was the first time in more than a year that both the nucleus crew and the Selected Reserve Unit had the opportunity to conduct comprehensive exercises together.

Preparations for LOT II of the ship's overhaul occupied the attention of the nucleus crew on return to homeport and throughout the month of April. Entering Philadelphia Naval Shipyard on 5 May, Cone commenced a six month period of repair and modernization work designed to extend the ship's useful life for several more years and to bring her into compliance with modern standards concerning sanitation systems and elimination of asbestos insulation.

On 18 August Cone celebrated her 35th anniversary. At this point the overhaul was more than half complete and the crew nearly ready to reembark the ship. The next major milestone was successful completion of the Propulsion Plant Light Off Inspection by Commander, Destroyer Squadron Thirty-Four and the 600/1200 PSI Steam Mobile Training Team. Sea trials in late October and early November followed.

Returning to Charleston in mid-November, Cone resumed her mission as a member of the reorganized Naval Reserve Force. Now part of SURFACE SQUADRON TWO, whose headquarters are located in Newport, Rhode Island she embarked upon an intensive period of post overhaul upkeep in order to make ready for a return to the Caribbean early in the following year. Underway drills for the Selected Reserve Unit were conducted during both November and December in the waters off Charleston signaling the renewal of the training mission for which the ship is primarily employed. In the closing weeks of the year, Cone entered a period of leave and upkeep to mark the holidays.

1981 began with the leave and upkeep period continuing into February. After a successful sea trial in early February, Cone headed south to Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico for a Weapons System Accuracy Test. The first few days were spent checking the weapons systems for proper operability and accuracy. After all systems were properly aligned, Cone sailed to St. Croix and the WSAT Range for two ASROC and two torpedo exercise firings. Upon completion of the four successful shots, she proceeded to Vieques Island for Naval Gunfire Support qualification. On 1 March Cone commenced NGFS; but, was unable to complete due to a material casualty. After refueling in Roosevelt Roads, Cone returned to Charleston for IMAV and upkeep.

Cone's annual port visit to Savannah, Georgia for St. Patrick's Day on March 17th was cancelled when Cone ran aground in Charleston Harbor. Cone returned pierside for a complete underwater hull inspection, after the grounding and found no damage to the ship. 14-15 March was SELRES weekend oboard.

After an investigation of the grounding by COMDESRON FOUR, on 26 March 1981, CDR H. R. Quarles, Jr. was relieved of command by LCDR R. M. Butterworth who became the acting Commanding Officer.

While awaiting a new Commanding Officer, Cone made preparations for selected refresher training and had SELRES weekend inport on 11-12 April. On 21 April CDR Mack C. Gaston assumed command.

With a new Commanding Officer Cone sailed for selected refresher training on 29 April. Upon arrival in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba the Cone SELRES Crew boarded for their drill weekend and two weeks active duty. Completing selected refresher training and a port visit to Port Antonio, Jamaica, Cone returned to the Weapon Station, Charleston on 18 March for a complete ammunition offload. This offload was scheduled due to a planned overhaul of ship's weapons systems and magazine maintenance. Cone was also tasked to provide 56 of her crew members for crossdecking to other ships for "Ocean Venture 81" on 31 May 1981.

During the summer there was a considerable amount of repair work completed and the several SELRES weekends were spent Fast Cruising and training personnel.

On 30 August Cone's crew members returned from "Ocean Venture 81". 28-30 September was spent underway in the Charleston OPAREA operationally checking repairs made during the summer. On 2 October Cone onloaded ammo at the Weapon Station, Charleston. 10 October saw Cone going to sea for independent steaming and exercises followed by a port visit to Port Royal, South Carolina for Navy Day. 14 October Cone returned to Charleston. Late in the month Cone's dependents went to sea for a one day cruise. This day, 24 October, produced high winds and rough seas, resulting in the dependents being extremely glad to return to solid ground. The next day Cone went Charleston OPAREA for training and a port visit to Port Everglades, Florida for Halloween. She returned to Charleston on 4 November. 16-17 November was spent underway for submarine services in the Charleston OPAREA.

On 11 December the ship had a Christmas party in conjunction with the SELRES crew. 13 December saw Cone with SELRES embarked underway for training and exercising of equipment. The remainder of the year was spent in leave and upkeep period.

 In January 1982, USS Cone completed a training availability in Norfolk, Virginia. Upon completion of the availability Cone proceeded to Bloodsworth for Naval Gunfire Support Training between 1 and 3 February. Cone made the return transit to Charleston on 4 and 5 February. Upkeep in Charleston was conducted 6 through 19 February. On 20-21 February Cone was underway in the Charleston OPAREA for training with the SELRES embarked. After three days inport Cone steamed for the recreational liberty port of Port Everglades, Florida. In Port Everglades over 27 February until 1 March Cone departed for Newport, Rhode Island to provide underway training for SWOS Department Head Course Foreign Trainees. Inport and underway training was conducted over 8 to 12 March. While underway a live ASROC exercise shot was conducted, gunnery practice was conducted, and general quarters for AAW, ASUW, and ASW were practiced. Upon completion of the training assignment, Cone headed for Savannah, Georgia to participate in the annual St. Patrick's Day festivities. Cone's part in Savannah's celebration included open house on board and providing a Navy Marching Unit for the Saint Patrick's Day Parade. On 18 March Cone embarked 80 NJROTC, ROTC, and other guests for the transit back to Charleston.

On 26 March, CDR Mack C. Gaston was relieved as Commanding Officer by CDR Richard L. Lyons. Cone earned the COMNAVSURFGRU FOUR "Silver Cutlass" award for qualifying more ESWS crew members than any other unit in the group during first quarter CY 1982. During April Cone made preparations for an IMAV and a Survey to be conducted by the Sub-Board of Inspection and Survey, Atlantic Fleet. The survey was completed with the chairman of the Sub-INSURV Board expressing his intense pleasure with the condition of Cone and the enthusiastic crew; "The best ship of its class". On 14 June the SELRES crew embarked for two weeks of active duty training (ACDUTRA). Underway again during 16-18 June, Cone steamed to Port Canaveral, Florida for a two day port visit followed by Submarine Operations in the Jacksonville operating area on 20-21 June. After finishing services for Submarine Operations, Cone visited Freeport, Bahamas for a 22-24 June port visit. Back in Charleston on 27 June, Cone began preparations for stand down prior to subsequent decommissioning on 1 October. July 16-18 was Cone's routine SELRES drill period. On 20-22 August the SELRES again embarked. Underway training for the last time, Cone included a dependent's cruise for family and friends on 22 August.

Cone was officially designated by CNO for "Hot Ship" transfer to the PAKISTANI NAVY on 3 September 1982, and final preparations for the turnover began in earnest. The first PAKISTANI contingent arrived in Charleston on 22 September. Cone completed her final ammo offload at Naval Weapons Station, Charleston 22-24 September. The second PAKISTANI contingent arrived in Charleston on 30 September.

1 October 1982, USS Cone (DD 866) was decommissioned at Pier Q1 at Naval Station Charleston, South Carolina. She was immediately recommissioned as PAKISTAN NAVAL SHIP ALAMGIR (D 160). She served the Pakistan Navy with pride until her decommissioning December 4, 1998.

Cone proudly served the United States Navy with distinction for 37 years. By rough calculation, around 4 thousand men served aboard the Cone during her 37-year navy career. She then served an additional 16 years with the Pakistan Navy for a period of 53 years of continuous active service. Before her departure to Pakistan, her ships bell was removed and placed at St. Augustines Church, University of R.I., in Kingston, R.I.


USS Cone DD-866



5/10/45 - 8/18/45



8/18/45 - 8/20/45



8/20/45 - 1/46



1/46 - 5/18/47



5/18/47 - 11/1/48



11/1/48 - 7/24/49



7/24/49 - 12/16/50



12/16/50 - 8/9/52



8/9/52 - 4/12/54



4/12/54 - 1/16/56



1/16/56 - 5/16/57



5/16/57 - 8/20/58



8/20/58 - 12/30/59



12/30/59 - 3/13/62



3/13/62 - 11/6/62



11/6/62 - 5/8/64



5/8/64 - 8/13/65



8/13/65 - 4/7/67



4/7/67 - 6/27/69



6/27/69 - 9/6/71



9/6/71 - 2/19/73



2/19/73 - 4/28/75



4/28/75 - 2/25/77



2/25/77 - 4/26/78



4/26/78 - 10/12/79



10/12/79 - 3/26/81



3/26/81 - 4/21/81



4/21/81 - 3/26/82



3/26/82 - 10/1/82


"In 1956, we encountered one of the worst hurricanes off the Azores. The ship pitched to a 40 degree roll and we crashed in our galley, lost the captains gig and lost 10 depth charges due to the waves crashing in on us. I was on the bridge when we were hit and the wave covered us all the way to the top of the mast."

John Fiola '54-'58

"In 1958 the Cone left Norfolk, Va. to go to NY City with NATO. There were so many ships that you lost count of them. Half way there we encountered one of the worst hurricanes there was. We had the Secretary of the Navy on board, for we were the flagship. We lost our Post office, split the bow open at the paint locker, put a crack in the 51 gun mount and did a lot more damage."

Bob Obermann '58-'59

"When the Cone was on her way to Savannah, Ga. to the St. Patricks Day celebration which became an annual event for the Cone, she ran aground in Charleston Harbor. I think the date was 3/16/81. I know it was a Saturday morning, bright clear warm day. Onboard were VIP'S including state senators & congressmen with family members for the 4 hour trip to Savannah. The ship made its way under the Cooper River bridges and was making the turn to the east to head toward the jetties and into the bright morning sun. The folks in charge on the bridge took a bouy on the wrong side and went too far north in the channel and put us in the shoals. Needless to say the intakes suck up the bottom of the harbor and the ship dropped the load. WE WERE DEAD IN THE WATER, RUN AGROUND! Just so happens we can see the office for channel 4 TV to our left and Ft.Sumter to our right so all the Harbor tour boats went by us all day as we just sat there stuck in the mud. Well by noon time we made the news in the area. We had to wait for tugs and high tide to get out & return to pier "S" at the base where some happy big brass guys were waiting for us. Yes there were changes made not too long after that incident."

Robert (Bob) Scollan, SH2, '78-'82

Thought I would contribute to the GITMO or history sections with a good this aint no "fooling" tale. I was an FTM on the USS Dahlgren DLG-12, tied up at GITMO around mid-'77. The USS Cone was there too and one night our boys painted HEAD after CONE on your transom, which was discovered the next moring to the disatisfaction of the Cone's Cmdr. (USS CONEHEAD) Of course this is when the coneheads of SNL were around. The Dahlgren was moved to anchor for the rest of our trials without liberty that day.

Regards Brothers,
Jeff Nelson, FTM2


If you have any information which would help supplement this history, please take the time to pass it on. I would like this history to be as complete and accurate as possible. I might mention that I'm openly looking for additonal "reflections" from former crew members. If you have some noteworthy additions, please send them for inclusion.
I am also actively attempting to locate information about the Cone in her new identity as the PNS ALAMGIR D-160. Hopefully, I'll be able to round out the rest of her story one day. Thank you for any support you may be able to provide.


In concluding, I would like to thank those individuals who assisted in preparing my presentation of the Cone, both historically and in picture. Former Cone crew members John Fiola, Bob Obermann and Dave Melton; Robert J. Clark, former officer aboard the USS Eugene A Greene DD-711 and Scott Harmon of the US Naval Academy Museum all provided information and/or pictures in helping these pages to take form. Other information was received from the Cone Association. Thanks guys.

These pages were created 12-28-98 and remain under construction.
Last modification 2-14-2000.

© Copyright 1998, 1999, 2000 S. E. Swatsenbarg and represents my work, except where noted.